Thirty oil wells, four wastewater reinjection wells, storage tanks, and waste treatment facilities will be built on a 1.3 acre lot adjacent to a residential neighborhood, small businesses, a pedestrian greenbelt, and a children’s playground. Miles of underground pipelines will extend out under a larger portion of the community. The project is proposed to last 35 years with five years just for construction.
The drilling project will feature:
- A large drilling rig, projected to be 110 feet tall, that will be visible to the entire community.
- Heavy truck traffic on Valley Drive that will impact roads, greenbelt activities, and pedestrians, especially our children walking to school.
- Constant noise and light from construction, creating an unnecessary nuisance to residents.
- An increase in noise, noxious odors, and air pollution.
- Drilling 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 35 years.
The project requires relocating the city yard to a small lot adjacent to a residential neighborhood at 12th and Valley Drive at significant cost ($10 million to $18 million) and loss of income ($180,000 per year) and parking to the city.